Bacup; Waterside United Methodist Free Church
The Building News described this chapel as being picturesquely situated on the side of a hill. It was built on Burnley Road, Bacup next to an existing chapel which was retained for Sunday School purposes.
The first chapel had been built by the Wesleyan Methodist Association and opened on the 25th November 1838. The building illustrated was built to mark the 60th anniversary, opening on the 24th of November 1898. The architect was George Edward Bolshaw of Southport.
The new chapel was designed to seat 475, and could still accommodate 456 in 1940.
More information about this chapel would be welcome.
Grid Ref: SD 868231
Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947
The Building News Vol.77, 1899 pp477-478