Openshaw United Methodist Free Church
This building is a bit of a mystery. According to The Building News it was designed in 1904 by Manchester and Bolton architects Potts, Son , and Hennings, and could seat 350. Other sources credit Potts, Pickard and Dixon with a church in Ashton Old Road for the UMFC, but back in 1889, and for rather more people. The description in Th eBuilding News of 1889 does not seem to tally with this drawing.
All we can be certain of is that Edward Potts (1839-1909) was the architect. He was from a family who had been founding members of the Wesleyan Methodist Association in Bury, and then being very much involved with the UMFC. Edward himself held many offices in the church, as well as designing over 200 cotton mills and many Methodist chapels.
Perhaps someone who know the area can help identify this handsome building?
The Building News Vol.86, 1904 pp 549-550