The chapel illustrated was opened on 20th July 1871, and could accommodate 650 people. it closed in 1955, and the building was demolished in 1975.
In 1878 the minister started a football club for the local youth, St. Domingo’s FC. This gained support from the local neighbourhood, and among non-Methodists, and in November 1879 the club changed its name to Everton FC.
Any information about the subsequent history of the chapel would be appreciated.

Comments about this page
Liverpool, Breckfield Road North, St Domingo Methodist New Connexion Chapel, Lancashire
In 1901 the premises consisted of a chapel, a school, a house, and a manse whose construction and subsequent enlargements had cost £7500. A further £500 had been spent on an organ. The chapel seated 583 and the school 561. Brick In 1940 the chapel estate consisted of the chapel which seated 650 in pews a school hall and five other rooms
The chapel stood on a prominent corner site. It was built of brick in the Early English Gothic style. The adjacent pair of semis are typical of the early residential development on this part of Liverpool
Sources
Methodist New Connexion: Returns of Trust Estates as presented in Special Schedules, January 1901 Liverpool District, Liverpool St Domingo Circuit
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, 1940/, 728 Liverpool, Anfield and St Domingo
Circuit
The building was designed by the well known architect of Methodist chapels, William Hill of Leeds.
Add a comment about this page