Gorton United Methodist Free Church, Hyde Road, Gorton
The building was designed in 1902 by Manchester and Bolton architects Potts, Son , and Hennings. Edward Potts (1839-1909) was from a family who had been founding members of the Wesleyan Methodist Association in Bury, and then being very much involved with the UMFC. Edward himself held many offices in the church, as well as designing over 200 cotton mills and many Methodist chapels.
It was built to seat 350, and the suite of buildings also included a Sunday-school and Church parlour. It seems to have been built to replace an earlier chapel in Gore Street.
The buildings are no longer in Methodist use, but worship continues in the form of the Gorton Evangelical Church. Genuki provide more recent photographs of both the exterior and interior.
Any further information about this church will always be welcome.
At a time of national lockdown it is interesting to note such a fine illustration of social distancing in action.
Grid Ref: SJ886960
Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947
The Building News Vol.86, 1904 pp 549-550