Tregony United Methodist Free Church chapel

9 Fore St, Tregony, Truro TR2 5RN

Tregony United Methodist Free Church chapel
Jo Lewis 2017
Tregony United Methodist Free Church chapel

There has been an Independent, Protestant, dissenting congregation and meeting house in Tregony since 1750.

This  Church  was built in 1824 and is grade 2 listed.  It is marked on old maps as a United Methodist (presumably United Methodist Free Church) church until 1907 when it is marked as a Congregational Church. This is probably the original Methodist church before the congregation moved up the road.

In the 1820’s a private, fee paying, boys boarding school was opened at Tregony by Dr James Hart who was also a Minister at the local Congregational Chapel. The school, which was one of the largest in Cornwall,  stayed in existence until 1893 when it was destroyed by fire.

As the congregational church,  it was one of the few remaining independent Congregational church (those that did not become part of the United Reformed Church ) but recently it became independent from the Congregational Federation.  It changed its name to the Bible Christian Church and is still active in the village with its own Facebook group – not to be confused with the original Bible Christian chapel down the road

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *