The Steps Chapel was more officially known as the United Free Methodist Chapel. It lies on the eastern side of Marcus Hill, overlooking the junction at Manor Road.
The first Methodist preaching at Newquay was recorded by Richard Treffy in 1802. This chapel was built in 1865 to replace the old one at Crantock Street, at which time it had the nickname of ‘Spite & Envy’.
It became known as Steps chapel because of the steps up to the entrance, as it was over a garage. It was closed in 1892, replaced by the present church on Beachfield Avenue.